Image Source: Disney Are you pregnant? Do you like to tap into your childlike wonder? Do you enjoy the occasional giant cookie and churro? Perfect. Yo...
Are you pregnant? Do you like to tap into your childlike wonder? Do you enjoy the occasional giant cookie and churro? Perfect. You’re going to love Walt Disney World.
You may not be able to free fall in the Tower of Terror, but you can still get your kicks on Safari (with real animals!), watch Broadway-level performers flip around while belting out a Disney ditty, or quell your pregnancy hot flashes in cool and comfy capsules that transport you through the Haunted Mansion.
Come to think of it, all of my favorite attractions (and the attractions my toddler can attend) are all pregnant lady-approved.
But before you hop on a ride …
Preplan at My Disney Experience
All the advice below can be researched and reserved at this site. Preplanning the attractions and restaurants you want to hit at each park, and going in with a game plan, will ensure you minimize your walking and wait times, and maximize the magic (and leisurely breaks lounging with Mickey while chipmunks bring you chocolate nuts … a girl can dream).
Take advantage of FastPass+
The My Disney Experience site allows you to reserve three FastPasses per day (for each day you’ll be at a Disney park) 30 days in advance. Reserve them for earlier in the day, because when you use them up, you can acquire newbies by going to Fast Pass kiosks in the park.
The best pregnant mama-appropriate attractions at each park
- Haunted Mansion
- It’s a Small World
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Kilimanjaro Safari
- It’s Tough to Be a Bug!
- The Great Movie Ride (You get to go through Munchkin land!)
- Muppet Vision 3D
- Toy Story Midway Mania!
- The American Adventure
- Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival (in 4D!)
- Gran Fiesta Tour
Take an afternoon nap so you’ll have the gusto to view the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom or Epcot Center.
Download the My Disney Experience app
The My Disney Experience app has a GPS-enabled map for each park and will instantly tell you how to get to the nearest bathroom. ‘Nuff said. Another benefit? It offers constantly updated wait times for each attraction. Instead of schlepping around trying to find the shortest line, chill with Goofy on a shaded bench and check the app.
Check out the character meals
Take advantage of the opportunity to have a relaxing and delicious meal while your favorite characters come to you. As you eat, the old-school (and some new-school) Disney characters will make their rounds to each table, providing fantastic photo ops.
The best shows
- Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue (The Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort): Ribs, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, beans, Shirley temples, cornbread, honey butter, songs, dancing, laughing, and audience participation. Need I say more?
- Festival of the Lion King (Animal Kingdom): Your mouth will open in awe and your eyes will tear from hormonal emotion during this top-notch performance, which includes acrobatics, your favorite Lion King tunes, and a vibrant flurry of constant color. And you’ll be sitting in a dark air-conditioned dome for the entirety of the show.
The best restaurants
- The Boat House (Disney Springs): Appropriately named, the Boat House is a fine dining (seafood and steakhouse yummies) restaurant jutting out over the water (flush with boat taxis) connecting Disney Springs to the Saratoga Resort. The food is top-notch and the dessert is … just make sure you order dessert.
- Dole’s Pineapple Whip (Magic Kingdom or Polynesian Village Resort): Indulge your pregnant sweet tooth with this highly sought after Disney-exclusive treat.
Buy the Memory Maker package
Don’t forget to capture those memories! Many pregnant women shy away from the camera and choose to stay behind the scenes. With the purchase of the Memory Maker package, you can have unlimited family photos taken by professional photographers at all the photo stops throughout the parks, character dining experiences, and the attractions with hidden cameras. You can then download all of the photos through your My Disney Experience account.
Relax and have a “down day”
If you’re staying at a Disney resort, there will be plenty of pampering opportunities — that you totally deserve! Many of the resorts have heated pools and spas, and they all have air-conditioned bedrooms with luxe mattresses and curtains that turn the day to night — delicious. Send the family to the park and relish your precious alone time.
And some other pointers …
Keep it safe, mama. Pay attention to the signs posted at the entrance of rides listing any exclusions or limitations for physical considerations, and skip the rides cautioning pregnant women. There is also a First Aid Center at each park — don’t be shy to drop in if you start to feel “off” in any way. Prepare yourself for comfort by wearing loose and light clothing (layers if it’s cold), supportive walking shoes, and packing your own healthy snacks and large bottle of water.
And don’t forget to have Mickey rub your belly for good luck!